Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Fruit of the Spirit - Patience”


 Image http://www.histreasureseekers.com

 But the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience,kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Galatians 5:24


The Dictionary: Patience  From the Greek “to suffer.”  
1.
Bearing pains or trials calmly and without complaint
2.
Manifesting forbearance under strain
3.
Not hasty or impetuous
4.
Steadfast and committed despite opposition, difficulty or adversity

Bill Hybels tells this personal story:
I love watching football.  Some time back, it was halftime of a Chicago Bears football game, and my beloved Bears had a slim lead.  I thought, as long as I had a few minutes, I would dash down to the 7/11 and get some munchies.  Certain to be back before the second half, I rushed to my car and arrived at the store in no time.  I left the car running in the parking lot (that would save me, oh, 3 seconds) and rushed in to get my chips and took my place in line.  I immediately noticed there were 4 people in front of me and only one girl working at the counter.  I would have skirted around them and left my money but I only had a $20.  

As I stood in line, I wondered if they give “slow” lessons to these people that work at 7/11.  I wondered why these people in line really needed these things and why they weren’t home watching the game.  I began tapping my foot, perhaps believing this would speed up things.  I thought, that girl could work a lot faster if she stood up and got off that stool.  And THEN she began to chat with one of the customers!  “Oh, great!” I thought to myself, “a social butterfly!”  Meanwhile, I was imagining the halftime show and wondered how long it had left.

I started eyeballing each person in line in front of me to see what they had in their hands.  I immediately became suspicious of the guy right in front of me because he was holding nothing, that meant he needed the girl to get something for him.  And my worse fear came true.  When he got to the front of the line, he asked the girl for a ham and cheese sandwich.  A ham and cheese sandwich!!! There should be a law against such things!

With only one girl working in the store, this meant that everybody in line (including me – I was next!)  had to wait until this lazy bum got his ham and cheese sandwich.  I might as well have crawled into a corner and taken a little nap.  “What kind of bread would you like with that?  White?  Wheat? Rye? Sourdough?  What kind of ham would you like? Baked?  Smoked? Country?  Would you like that ham thin sliced or thick sliced?”  What kind of cheese would you like?”  FOR ______ SAKE, I thought to myself, JUST GIVE HIM HIS ______ HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH!  By now, I was certain the second half of the game was underway.  

When the guy FINALLY got his sandwich, I paid for my bag of chips and gave the girl the most glaring look I possibly could fashion.  I rush out to my car, sat down, slammed the door, and raced back to the house – breaking untold number of traffic laws in the process.  

By the time I got back to the TV, my nerves were a wreck, my stomach was in knots – and I missed a touch down.  That ham and cheese sandwich ruined by whole day.  

1.
What pushes your “patience button?”  


2.
What definition of “patience” does this story illustrate?





Read the following verses.  What do they say about God?

The love of God endures forever!  Psalm 136:1

Christ Jesus has displayed His unlimited patience… 1 Tim. 1:16

Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means our salvation.  2 Peter 3:15

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the Cross, scorning its shame.  Hebrews 12:2

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love.  He will not always accuse nor will He harbor His anger for long.  He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who trust Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  Psalm 103:8-12


3.
What characteristic is described as belonging to God?  Why is this good news?  Ultimately, where does godly patience come from?



But the primary definition of patience has to do with enduring, hanging in there through thick and thin, it includes the concept of “suffering.”  Read the following:

As servants of God, we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance, in troubles, in hardships and distresses, in beatings, imprisonments, riots, hard work, sleepless nights, and hunger.  We commend ourselves to purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love…. Through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report, known yet unknown, dying and yet we live on – beaten but not killed.  We are sorrowful but rejoicing, poor yet making many rich, having nothing yet possessing everything.  2 Cor. 6:4-10

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as His sons.  For what son is not disciplined by his father?  If you are not disciplined, then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.  Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it.  How much more should we submit to the Father and live!  God disciplines us for our good.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful.  Later on, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace, for those who have been trained by it.  Therefore, strengthen those feeble arms and weak knees!  Hebrews 12:7-12

Among God’s churches, we boast about your perseverance and faith in the face of all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.  2 Thess. 1:4

We rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces patience, and patience produces character, and character produces hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts.  Rom. 5:3-5

I, John, your partner in suffering and in patient endurance.  Rev. 1:9

I (God) know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance.  You have persevered and have patiently endured hardships for My name and have not grown weary.Rev. 2:3

Be faithful unto death, and I (God) will give you the crown of life.  Rev. 2:10

4.
What is the definition of patience here?


5.
The Christian life will be marked by what?  Therefore, what will be needed?


6.
The Bible says we should REJOICE at our hardships and sufferings!  Do we?


7.
Patience produces what?


8.
Historically, Christians have often faced great persecution and hardships!  In many parts of the world, they still do!  But often, it’s pretty easy for us.  What’s the danger in that?


9.
Christians sometimes stop going to church because the parking lot is too full or someone sits where they like to sit.  Maybe the church changed the format of the worship folder, chopped down their favorite tree or changed the tune to a favorite hymn.  Maybe the pastor forgot their birthday or an usher neglected to return their “hello.”  And these are some of the more legitimate reasons! What would Jesus have to say about that?  



Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction.  Romans 12:12

We constantly remember your…labor prompted by love and your endurance inspired by hope.  1 Thess. 1:3

Be patient, brothers, until the Day of the Lord’s coming.  See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.  You, too, must be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near.  Don’t grumble against each other, but be examples of patience in the face of all suffering.  Take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.  We consider them blessed as they persevered.  James 5:7-10

Love is patient… 1 Cor. 13:4

10.
How is patience related to hope?  
11.
Commitment?  
12.
Dedication?
13.
Faithfulness?
14.
Love?

15.
On a scale of 1-10, how patient are you?  What can YOU do to improve that?

Tonight, I learned or was reminded about….



No comments:

Post a Comment